Moving is stressful on its own, but when you add teens to the mix it can be a nightmare. However, it doesn’t have to be. Teens are old enough to help, but even if you hire Brilliance Removalists Perth and they only unpack their own stuff, it will save you having to do it. Here are some tips to help make moving into your new home with teens easier.
- Your teens need and deserve to know why you are moving and what you expect will improve for the whole family. They need to be listened to and so even though you know what they are giving up, listen to them and try to address their fears or concerns. If they know you are on their side, they won’t feel so abandoned.
- Talk to them about your expectations for them and for the family as a whole. It doesn’t hurt to admit your own fears or concerns about the move and let them know how you are dealing with them.
- Give them a moving timeline so they know what to expect. Ask for their help in packing and put them in charge of packing their own stuff. You may have to show them how to pack goods safely, especially breakables. Give them tips on labelling so they can keep track of their stuff.
- Make sure they know what to expect for their own life. They will likely be leaving their school, friends and social scene. Make sure they know what they are heading to. Perhaps they could even choose their new school.
- Allow them to stay in contact with their friends – usually by mobile phone or Facebook. At the same time, encourage them to make new friends and bring them home so you can check them out.
- Allowing them to choose certain parts of their life will help them to feel in control. They could choose what sporting groups or other clubs etc to join. Talk to them about what is available in the new location and point out all the advantages.
- Show them a map of the location so they can easily find out where their favourite things are – skate park, cinema, fast food, library, sporting ovals and so on.
- Allow them to have – or host – a going away party or activities so they can say goodbye to all their friends. Girls might love a shopping day together; boys might prefer a day at the beach with a special friend.
- If you are not moving too far, you could suggest holidays or weekend stay-overs with their besties so that they don’t lose all contact with friends. That said, it is important for them to make new friends, so not all their time should be spent trying to stay in contact with those they leave behind.